About Us

Troop 105 Schwenksville, PA - chartered in 1915

 Distinguished from its inception, as most Troops are sponsored by churches, schools or fire companies,  Troop 105 was chartered by “Concerned Group of Citizens”. This source of adults chartering the future of the Scouts in the program has proven successful.  Since its original charter date, Troop 105 has produced 68 Eagle Scouts. -  26 who have been produced by the Troop since 2004.  

 We are a large Troop averaging 60 to 65 Scouts.  

 

 TROOP 105  HISTORY               BY MICHAEL MURDOCH

On July 12,1915, Mr. John R. Tallis took a group of boys, each with a frying pan and 2 eggs, for a cookout along the Perkiomen Creek. On August 3,1915, the original charter was granted to “A group of concerned citizens” and has remained so ever since. Thus began the rich history of what started as Troop #1 of Schwenksville, Penna. 

The original members of Troop #1 were: Forrest Allebach, George Allebach, Edgar Kehs, Franklin Kehs, Arthur Reed, Lawrence Reed, Harold Noble, William Pennypacker, Luther Schmidt, Freddie Smith, Herb Smith, Walter Sontag, Christian Wesger, Stanley Whitman, and Wellington Young.

The first meeting place was the attic of the garage that was behind the original firehouse. Today the firehouse is the Borough Hall. Later meetings were held in the basement of the present-day Borough Hall. (The horses for the fire company were kept in the basement, so when they were no longer needed, the scouts were allowed to meet in the basement.)

The Troop’s first works of service were good turns for the town and those in need. One of these good turns was giving minstrel shows to raise money for the Town Hall.
In 1916, Camp Delmont was opened to all scouts. Some of the Lodges and cedar cabins were built by scouts and leaders from many troops in the council. W.S. Young was one of the many who gave of their time to build the camp. In 1917, Troop #1 is listed in the First Annual Yearbook of Delaware and Montgomery Counties Council. Camp Delmont was named by using the first syllable from the 2 counties that made up the council.

In 1918, 4 medals were awarded to boys in the troop for selling 58 Liberty Bonds to support the war effort. The total was $96.00. On July 25, the formal dedication of Camp Delmont was held. The price of a week at summer camp was $4.75. Also in that year, on behalf of Delaware and Montgomery Counties Council; John Tallis purchased 75 acres for Camp Delmont for $635.00 where the present-day swimming pool and surrounding area is located.

In 1919, President Woodrow Wilson declared the first Boy Scout Week to be held in June.
In 1921, John Tallis became Field Executive for the Perkiomen District. During the 1920’s the troop put out forest fires, distribute posters about fires, had Red Cross Roll Call, and assisted with directing traffic for the 4th of July celebrations.

In 1928, the troop became part of the Pottstown District. This was also the beginning of the first Father/Son Banquet.

In 1929, Delmont Lodge #43 was created with W.S. Young inducted into the order. During this time, the troop began to collect and distribute toys and candy to the poorer and needy families at the holidays.

In 1934, the troop became part of the Continental District. Throughout the 30’s and 40’s, the troop held Christmas parties and Easter egg hunts for the children of the town. On Nov. 25, 1940, an Explorer patrol emerged from the older boys in the troop. This was a way to keep the older boys involved and stay active. The troop also made use of “Camp Ezra” along the Swamp Creek near Delphi to enjoy camping.

Since Dec. 7, 1941, scouts served as observers for a Legion Observation Post of an Air Warning Service. Throughout World War 2, the scouts served 1240 hours as observers, collected 20 tons of newspapers, and aided the Civil Defense in tin can and scrap metal collection. The troop also published “The Young Defender” which was a mini newspaper for local news and events for use within the troop and for those scouts serving overseas during the war. Patrols in the 1940’s were the Flying Eagle (the Spring Mount boys), and the Beaver patrol for the Zieglerville boys.

In 1953, the Explorer Post was dissolved. In 1954, Richard Schlick, Gerald Graves, and John Graves III received the first annual Firestone Certificate of Merit. Fred Schlick received the Scouter’s Award.

In 1957, due to a change in National and Council policy, many troops were assigned new troop numbers to avoid confusion. This is the year that we became Troop 105. On Nov. 1, 1960, the Neskenno District was formed. Neskenno means “peace” in native Iroquois dialect. 1962 saw the 50th anniversary of Boy’s Life magazine and 1965 marked the 50th anniversary of Troop 105.

The 1970’s were a time of conservation with Project SOAR, and countless hours of camping and service work. The 1980’s saw the troop camp at St John’s cabin near Zieglerville, Joe Behmer’s land outside of Schwenksville, and Joe Morgan’s hunting cabin in the Pocono Mountains where many a rafting trip down the Pine Creek was had. Winter camping was also fun and very cold. The generous nature of these people to use their facilities has provided scouts with many cherished memories.

The late 80’s and early 90’s saw the troop inhabit it’s present-day Scout cabin in Central Perkiomen Valley Park. The troop would be able to lease it from the park but had to fix-up and maintain the building and grounds. Many a fun work week-end was had to bring the cabin back to life.

The late 90’s and the beginning of the new century saw the troop continue to thrive and grow. Troop 105 has continued in it’s service to our country, community, and others. Various scouts from our troop have received numerous awards and honors over the course of these many years; and we are proud of the many fine men that have developed from the troop. It is our hope that the troop may continue to grow in skills and knowledge and to always strive to “Do your Best”.

Silver Beaver Award
W.S. Young
Leonard L. Reed Sr.
Carl Markley
Heroism Award
Karl Beck
Medal of Merit
Jeff Adams
Founders Award O/A
Michael Murdoch